Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Plant Strong Camping

I am on a mission now to do all the things that I couldn't do or at least couldn't do comfortably while I was morbidly obese.  Camping was one of the things on my list.

I love being in nature.  It gives me so much joy and peace.  If someone would have asked me to go camping back when I weighed 400+ pounds I would have thought about how miserable I would be and immediately decline.

It was so nice this weekend being able to comfortably sit in a lawn chair.  If you are not overweight then you won't understand the issues people who are obese deal with.  Like the horrible chafing between your legs because of the constant rubbing.  Add the heat and humidity to that and it makes for one miserable summer!

I was a little worried going camping because I wasn't sure what I was going to eat and I didn't want to be tempted to eat the junk that other people brought.

I make it harder than it has to be sometimes though.  The easiest thing I made was the hobo packets and I would have been happy eating that every single day.


My veggie hobo packet had yellow potatoes, green beans, zucchini, squash, onion, mushroom, garlic, and seasonings.  Wrap it in grilling foil and throw it on the fire until the potatoes are tender.  It was delicious!

For breakfast I enjoyed my green tea and fruit.  I brought steel cut oats but didn't end up eating them.  

I also had homemade tortilla chips, guacfauxmole, and veggies with hummus.

I'm not going to lie, when the guys were making their pizza hot pockets over the fire I was drooling a little bit.  However, now I am able to think beyond that initial moment when I think it will taste so good and consider what eating that will do to my mind and body.  

I know that I have a food addiction and taking one bite of the old junk food will trigger a downward spiral for me.  I choose to avoid it all together so I don't ruin all the hard work and progress I've achieved so far.  

Plus I had to remind myself that if I were still eating the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) I would not be camping this weekend.  I'm able to do so much more now that I've focused on eating fuel for my body instead of eating for my taste buds.


I will definitely go camping again and next time I hope to add more activities like horseback riding, kayaking, tubing, etc.  Being able to enjoy life and not being stuck on the couch is a better reward for me than any donut, cookie, or chips!  I used to spend my weekends on the couch watching movies and eating crap.  

Not anymore!  I refuse to waste this precious life that God gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment