Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Veggie Foil Packs and Cucumber Salad

I was so in love with the veggie packs I made when I went camping a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to create it at home in the oven.  I never really got that great smoky flavor you get when it's over a fire and have tried twice now.  Don't get me wrong, it's still good and I don't mind eating my mistakes! lol  I still have a huge bowl of veggies to make more packs and will keep playing with temperatures and update this when I have perfected it.  But here is what I have so far:


You can use any veggies you like but I used:

  • sliced zucchini
  • sliced yellow squash
  • fine green beans
  • asparagus
  • onions
  • garlic
  • carrots
  • celery
  • mushrooms
  • potatoes
  • few sprinkles of liquid smoke (to taste)
I found the zucchini and squash already sliced and on sale at Meijer.  I cut everything up and put it in a big bowl.  I add the potatoes and mushrooms to the foil packet on the day I'm going to cook it so it doesn't spoil.  Once everything is on the foil (use non-stick) add your seasonings.  I used black pepper and Original Herbamare but you can use whatever you like.  

Fold the foil packet up into a pouch and place directly onto the oven rack which has been preheated to 350 degrees.  Mine took about an hour and then I let it broil on high for 20 minutes.  You will need to check yours and possibly flip the packet over at 30 minutes, the times will vary depending on how thick you cut your veggies.



I've always loved German Cucumber Salad but when I stopped eating dairy and meat products I had to stop making it because I used Hellman's mayo.  Well thanks to Protective Diet I am able to make the cucumber salad again using Julie's recipe for House mayo.  Here is how I made mine:

2 english cucumbers (thinly sliced with a mandolin)
3 TBS of House mayo
1/2 tsp mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 TBS Bragg's amino acids (or Tamari)
Fresh or dried dill weed to taste (I like a lot)

It's always a good idea to slice the cucumber and sprinkle with salt and let it sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.  This helps pull out the water so you can drain it off before adding the rest of the ingredients.

Mix everything up and adjust to your taste and eat!  This was better the second day after all the flavors blended together.




No comments:

Post a Comment